The AACR makes a systemic and programmatic impact with the goal of improving health outcomes by encouraging personal lifestyle changes and regular medical physicals to reduce/prevent diseases that disproportionately or differentially impact the African-American community. We promote healthy living in the African-American community in Howard County - aiming to tackle health and wellness concerns in our community, including obesity, disease prevention and management, and insurance. We partner with health advocacy groups like Horizon Foundation, Howard County General Hospital, and the County Health Department to successfully share educational information and resources about countywide health initiatives.
The AACR makes a systemic and programmatic impact with the goal of increasing academic and personal achievement that, in turn, eliminates academic disparities in the African American community.
Our Impact Goals Are:
- Increase Academic Achievement/Reduce Achievement Gaps for African American students
- Recognition of student improvement and achievement
- Reduction of HCPSS suspensions of African-American students for consistent data at all Howard County Public Schools
- Advocate for hiring, retention and promotion of African-American educators
- Advocate for consistent data at all Howard County Public Schools
- Support for BSAP & MESA Programs
- Improve student well-being
- Advocate for African-American leadership in the HCPSS
- Support for the United Negro College Fund-Howard County Scholarship
- Support for Silas Craft Collegian Program Community Scholarship Info AACR member organizations award annual scholarships.
For More Information, visit: www.aacr-howard.org/scholarships
We are committed to remain vigilant on the need for improvement in:
- Hiring, mentoring and promoting African-Americans and minority officers to reflect the demographics of the community.
- Advocating for ongoing cultural proficiency training and community policing strategies that include real changes to methods and practices that are voiced by the community.
It is proven that the quickest way to self-sufficiency, economic stability, and wealth creation is entrepreneurship. Yet, statistics bear the fact that many small businesses, in particularly minority and women-owned businesses, start either under-capitalized and/or with limited business expertise.
Our Impact Goals in This Area:
The African American Community Roundtable of Howard County has created and will continue to offer initiatives that spur economic development and job creation in our minority and underserved communities.
These initiatives will cover topics including, but not limited to:
- Business Planning
- Diversified Marketing
- Personal & Business Finance
- Wealth Building & Management
- Access To Capital and Contract
- Human Capital Management
We aim to collaboratively raise awareness, take action to impact and eliminate social inequalities (or inequities) in housing, health, education, public safety, economic development, and political systems that prevent equal pursuit of life, liberty, and justice for all African-Americans in Howard